Mother’s milk is a unique product created by nature for the nutrition of infants, adapted to the functional capabilities of their gastrointestinal tract and has protective properties. And due to the main nutritional components, it protects babies at different levels of life.
After birth, in the first days of life (5-6 days) the child drinks colostrum, from the 6th day of life to 2-3 months – the intermediate milk, and 2-3 years – mature breast milk. Colostrum is a sticky thick rind of grayish-brown color that is rich in protein, fat (during the first days), and milk sugar. The intake of colostrum is very important for the formation of local immunity in the intestines of the child.
Therefore, breast milk is an essential nutritional product for all infants. Pediatricians often recommend full breastfeeding during the first 12 months of life, if possible, and then, depending on the circumstances.
There are many advantages of breastfeeding:
- Breast milk contains anti-infective antibodies (immunoglobulins) which can reduce the incidence of intestinal and respiratory infections in the newborn.
- Milk is the best food for a baby and is easy to digest
- Breast milk promotes the development of the relationship between the mother and the child
- There is a cost-saving factor in this diet.
However, there are cases when a mother cannot feed her baby for various reasons: medical contraindications of the mother or baby, lack of milk, the need to go to work, and so on. But the mother should not feel guilty. Today, there are many balanced dairy products that are an acceptable alternative to breastfeeding.
HOW TO CHOOSE CORRECT BABY FORMULA?
It is not always possible to choose a milk formula for your baby at first. Your pediatrician, nutritionist or child nutritionist can help you. If you yourself have decided to choose a formula for your baby, then let’s look at the moments that are important to take into account.
Milk formulas sold in stores are subject to a strict safety inspection and can be recommended for mixed and piecemeal consumption. The composition of children’s food is strictly regulated by the World Health Organization.
Children’s formulas are made mainly on the basis of cow’s milk. There are also some formulas based on goat’s milk and using soy. To understand the level of approximation of the formula to breast milk, you should carefully read the contents of the product on the back of the package.
It is always necessary to consider the age range, because there are formulas “from 0 to 6 months”, the next “from 6 to 12 months” and “from 1 to 3 years”.
There are several types of functional children’s food:
- Hypoallergenic – used in cases of children’s allergies to common baby food;
- Medicinal – designed to treat diseases in children;
- Prophylactic – used for preventing illnesses in a child.
WHAT IS THE FDA?
The FDA is the U.S. regulatory agency for organic certification. It is responsible for preserving public health by regulating and controlling food safety. There are other certification plans in the U.S., such as the National Organic Program (NOP) and the Organic System Regulatory Program.
There are four different levels of certification of food products for organic agriculture. These levels include 100% organic certification. This means that the product grows without the use of inorganic ingredients and does not contain chemical contaminants.
WHAT FORMULA DO PEDIATRICIANS RECOMMEND?
American pediatricians state that the health and well-being of the younger generation is the foundation for the development of a harmonious, well-rounded personality. In order for young children to have a carefree childhood, it is important to develop a healthy diet and adequate levels of physical activity.
There is no one best formula – different babies may do better with different formulas. For healthy full-term infants, we typically start with a cow’s milk–based formula.
As for the composition of children’s food, you should make sure that the mixture did not contain palm oil, to avoid problems with fortification and disruption of calcium metabolism.
The composition of the mixture must necessarily include:
- prebiotics and probiotics (from the intestinal microflora);
- DHA and ARA;
- lutein (protection of the eye and vision in general);
- proteins (building material for cells);
- carbohydrates (the main source of energy in the child’s body).
The right product is well tolerated by the child. He eats with pleasure, gains weight in accordance with his age, has no dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea and clean skin without rashes.
EU ORGANIC. EUROPEAN CERTIFICATION
There are certain rules and guidelines for labeling products as organic or assigning them the EU organic logo. Expert organizations, technical committee and member states support legislative procedures related to the certification of organic products.
Organic farming rules set high standards for farmers, but in turn have high benefits for both farmers and consumers who use their organic products.
European organic certification is a legally valid certificate issued to farmers, retailers, seed suppliers and food processors. European organic certification is a guarantee that the product has passed the test of quality and productivity of this type of product.
Certification includes: filing an application, evaluation of products, making a decision and further demonstration. The process of testing the products, as a rule, comply with international standards.
Depending on the country of the producer, certification rules are different, but provide for quality growing, processing, storage, packaging and transportation of organic products.
Many consumers rely on the logos of certified products as a sign of safety.
There are international certification organizations that coordinate certification among different countries to ensure the import and export of healthy and safe products for consumers.
The EU organic logo is designed so that consumers can distinguish organic products from non-organic products. It also has a code number that identifies the agricultural company that produced the product.
BENEFITS EUROPEAN BABY MILK FORMULA
There are several important reasons why young parents choose European infant formula:
- The European Union has made sure that organic baby formula production is legal. Most European formulas contain non-toxic, long-lasting fatty acids and probiotics found in breast milk.
- They contain organic sweeteners, such as lactose, which do not put children at risk of developing diabetes. Scientists have also found that some formula additives, such as sucrose and corn syrup, can cause obesity.
- European infant formula does not contain traces of non-organic products or preservatives.
- Many scientists and nutritionists advise young parents to try European baby formula because it is healthy. And parents who have already used European formulas give positive feedback and are happy to recommend them.
BRANDS OF EU ORGANIC BABY FOOD
- HiPP formula is the right baby milk formula to give your baby the best start in life. Hipp has been manufacturing baby milk formulas for over 50 years, and they know that each baby is unique.
- Lebenswert is a line of products you can always count on. Every ingredient in Lebenswert formula is organic, non-GMO, and derived from farms that use the most advanced and responsible farming methods in the world.
- Holle formula can be used as the baby’s entire food supply for the first 6 months or can be in addition to breast milk and cereals. The nutritional balance has been created to provide the baby’s body and brain with everything needed to grow correctly. Ingredients used for Holle meet strict standards.
- Loulouka is a Swiss formula with all the essential ingredients and organic cow’s milk obtained in Switzerland, designed for your baby’s needs. Developed over many years by a team with over a decade of experience in the industry.
So we can make some conclusions
It is up to your parents to choose what to feed your little one with. They are responsible for deciding which formula to choose in order to provide your baby with all the necessary minerals and nutrients. The main thing is to note that the product is enriched with prebiotics, probiotics, nucleotides, fatty acids and other beneficial substances.
Eat right and grow a healthy generation!